Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day



As I was driving into town the other day, I choose to take a side street that lead me by the large cemetery in town. There were flags up and down the edge of the street. When I stopped at the light was a hill filled with flags--US and Texas to represent the war dead. I was humbled. Both my parents and husband were Army, not career Army but were in the Army. My parents Korea and my husband Vietnam. For each and every one of them they loved the Army. My mom said it was the time in her life when she felt the safest. She always knew she had three squares a day and a bed.

I was fortunately that all my loved ones returned.

Several years ago my husband and I took my children to Gettysburg. As we walked among the grave, you could feel the sadness of this place. Each of the Union soldiers had a headstone. The confederates were in a field, unidentified. I understood why, but it saddened me.

As we were walking back to our car, some parents we standing on the path and letting their small children run over all the grave, playing chase and laughing. How sad that their parents allowed that disrespect.

This weekend it my hope that you will pause that think of all those brave souls who died for this great nation. May God bless them.

No comments:

Post a Comment